- Backup your database and files.* Backup plugin suggestions: BlogVault.net, VaultPress.com, BackupBuddy from ithemes.com.
- Install and activate Classic Editor plugin (optional, useful if you are not ready to work with the new editor style)
- Update your installed plugins
- Update your install theme
- Update WordPress version to 5.0 (the available version may be different depending on when you are implementing the steps in this article).
- You might see a prompt to allow a database update.
*some webhosting plans include daily backups — ask your webhosting support team if that is an available option for your site